Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Blackbox Solutions

New low cost BBS Fault Code tool launched
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 9 <123456789>

Sweden 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I purchased the FCR a couple of months ago, very happy with it.
In the FCR pdf it says.
Quote:
Although the Faultmate FCR is designed to be extremely easy to use, full instructions are
supplied with the unit and we are also providing a Forum that owners will be able to join and ask
for help if needed.

But when trying to register on the BBS forum, FCR is not in the list of selectable products? Neither is there a forum on the FCR microsite?

Post #6143004th Mar 2010 9:53 am
NIDisco3

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

bellautos wrote:
Hi

Yes the FCR will allow you to access your discos faults and reset them so you can carry on with your journey.
It will also give you an explnation of the fault or faults stored.

Wiggs did a full thread here on the D3, ive also done one for the D4 both threads were using the FCR tool from BBS. http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic44101.h...fcr+review

Regarding a Remap although the FCR will work along side the BAS interface that still means 2 devices in your car because the FCR does not cover this function as its only a Fault Codes Only tool.

If you are considering a Remap and BBS level diagnostics then the Faultmate MSV2 will do both full D3 diagnostics and added functions like CCF edit, full D3 ecu flashing capeabilitys and also apply my Remap tuning which can be pruchased seperatly but direct from the BBS web shop all this inside one box so it may be worth considering.

The MSV2 has far more functionality than the FCR and is an outstanding peice of kit for the money.

Pete

PS have a route arround on the forum im sure Colin from BBS has posted a thread with the forum price in it.

Thanks for the reply Pete..

TBH the idea of having complete control of the Discos diagnostics system with the MSV2 is quite daunting for me... personally I'd be to scared of messing something up playing around with settings, hence why the FCR would suit me perfectly for getting rid of FBH faults and checking everything is OK, I think I'll start with the FCR and progress from there I suppose I could always flog it on if I decide to move up the diagnostics ladder Thumbs Up

I'll be in contact soon btw with regards to a Remap Bow down

Post #6148564th Mar 2010 10:30 pm
michele

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Received, faultmate FCR, thank Colin

Post #6150155th Mar 2010 9:17 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

We do (did) plan to implement an open forum specifically for the FCR, but as yet this has not been implemented. but because the device has proven so trouble free and uber simple to use, this has been given quite a low organizational priority and frankly we are now questioning if it is worth it at all. Especially since we are updating the FCR's micro site with all the relevant information, including all news and tips that we possibly can as well as loads of down loadable documents.

Today alone, we have made massive changes to the FCR micro site and have added lots more to it. If in the meantime you have any questions or points to raise about the FCR, or if you think we need to explain something better on our FCR's micro site, please feel free to post them here. As the Disco 3 and 4 is by far and away the vehicle almost all FCR's sold are for and represents a significant and growing aspect of future D3 or D4 ownership, i am quite sure that Martin would not mind.

NIDisco3
A very sensible approach, even if i do say so myself.
I have always expressed that the MSV-2 really is an awesomely powerful bit of kit, and in respect of what it can do for these cars, it is almost god like and it can of course do things that no other equipment can dream of or might ever dare to offer. This is of course attested to by so many very happy members on here who have had an MSV-2 improve their cars capabilities and functionality. But like any such powerful tool, it can of course also be used to do stuff that has undesirable effects.
Fortunately, we have also added some unique and very useful capabilities to our system such as the ability to save existing vehicle settings as plain HTML pages, that can be re loaded or e-mailed anywhere should you need to.

Just recently, with our version 1.27 software, we have attempted to address this by implementing a much simpler and more down to the basics option page to change vehicle settings, which is provided along side our existing and quite complex, full on vehicle settings (CCF ediiting) page. however most unfortunately and quite ironically there was a most undesirable bug in this page that had totally the opposite affect and has of course now been sorted.
Whistle Whistle Whistle

Anyway, by all means, get yourself started with the FCR and if you have any trouble "flogging" it on for a decent price, which i highly doubt, i will trade it in against an MSV-2 whenever you are ready to play God with your D3 Thumbs Up

Michele, happy to hear you have your FCR, and i am quite sure you must be well happy with it.
Thanks for your business Thumbs Up

Post #6155405th Mar 2010 8:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
michele

Yes, I'm happy, but I have few questions. I found some faults, 10 faults body control, 1 engine MGT, 3 Inst pack.
I cleaned them all, and that looked fine. But when I checked again, all the faults were still there. Is this normal or not? Help me please if you can, Colin.
These are few names of the faults; Pedal motor feed back circuit frequency modulation pulse with modulation failure incorrect, Steering column tilt solenoid telescoupe, passive start ignition relay coil circuit general eletric failure short to ground or open permanent.
One more question, what does 'comm error 1' mean?
Thank you Michele

Post #6160836th Mar 2010 8:51 pm
deanr_777

Colin i have tried emailing you to get some prices for your MSV2 can you pm me please

thanks

Post #6160866th Mar 2010 9:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Michele,

When you say that after clearing the faults they were still there when you rechecked, do you mean that you had driven the D3 after clearing or was it immediately after clearing them?

Comm error 1 usually means that the FCR cannot communicate with an ECU. If you try to read the faults from ECUs that you don't have, then you will get this error (for example, HD Radio, Satellite Radio, Rear Air con etc)... Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #6160876th Mar 2010 9:03 pm
Mark Y

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Arrived last night, straight out clearing faults, great to come out this morning and hear the FBH purring away, first time it worked for ages, sorry Colin I do have a criticism !!!!!!,

I want to keep my FCR in pristine condition, I would have paid a few more £ for some sort of made to measure padded case or wallet, it's now one of my treasured possessions Thumbs Up

Post #6161046th Mar 2010 9:30 pm
michele

Paulp, yes yesterday I did both ways you mentioned. Today, after clearing the faults, I drove with the D3 and I checked the faults in the body control again. There were still/again 9 faults. However, before I started driving I had cleared the faults, according to the menu in the beginning with confirmation that faults were zero.
Grazie Michele

Post #6163357th Mar 2010 5:11 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Criticism Mark, How dare you Laughing Laughing Laughing

Nah i really do fully understand, mine lives in a bubble bag at the moment.

And while i guess most non FCR owning readers might not understand and might well be thinking you must be nuts to be so trivial, and in fairness, you know as well as any owner does, that the FCR is such a sturdily built bit of kit, you could probably roll it down a rocky mountain drive over it in the mud and pour a cup of scolding coffee over it for good measure and it would still do the job without problem or hesitation.

But then although its attractive degree of capability would be intact, its attractive looks might be somewhat jaded afterwards and all that really lovely and shiny metallic blue aluminium extrusion end up with a few scratches and dings more suited to a 10 YO Defender LOL.

You now know how little a photo does it justice, but nevertheless

Click image to enlarge

Not long back another delighted FCR owner (although there is no other type) said much the same, and he told me he had used a spectacle / glasses / sunglasses case. He said he tried a couple before finding one that fitted perfectly. Might be a cheap and easy way to go.
Perhaos a new "Should have gone to spec savers" advert there.

Anyway, I really hope that this suggestion helps, or that you find some other way to protect your new and most Treasured Possesion, And of course i am most glad to see just how really much you are benefitting from and so value it. I guess now you are realising just why every previous investor in one raves on about it so much.
Whistle Whistle Whistle

Michele
If faults do not clear from a vehicle system, then this can only be because the vehicle system is seeing those faults as always there and is instantly re logging them as soon as correct test conditions exist. If you have any doubt or imagination that the FCR is not capable or able to clear some faults let me re assure you that this is simply impossible. The command required to get an ECU to clear its memory and which the FCR sends out on your command is possibly the simplist there is. It requires no knowledge or consideration of whatever codes there may be in there at any point in time, or any translation element.

Clearly therefor your vehicle seems to have problems that actually require fixing such that the Vehicle system is happy and will no longer re log any fault code for them.

Comm Error 1 is simply the lowest and most basic form of error.
It means we sent out a communication request to an ECU on the CAN BUS and it simply did not respond for whatever reason that we have no way of determining.

It does happen very occasionally on existing ECU's that are for whatever reason unable to respond at that time and need a retry, but as PaulP states, you will always get it if you select ECU's from the vehicle model ECU list that are simply not fitted.

In the Disco 3, the most common ECU that is expected to be fitted by owners, but is actually not, is the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC). Unlike Regular Cruise Control which it is commonly confused with and which is part of the engine management anyway, the Adaptive Cruise Control is one that uses a forward sensing Radar unit in the front bumper. Our experience tells us this has nver physicallt been fitted to any D3 but as teh dealers IDS looks for it as an option we included it anyway, just in case Rolling with laughter

Post #6163957th Mar 2010 6:57 pm
jnoshea

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Colin, is that 10% discount still available? my D3's bonging at me quite a bit at the moment and I'm interested in your FCR to find out why.

Best regards
James

Post #6171488th Mar 2010 9:48 pm
caterham

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Would also be interested if the discount is still available - FBH has been on and off all winter ! Is it still a couple of days for delivery?

Thanks

Darren

Post #6171938th Mar 2010 10:14 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya James
Yes the discount is still availiable and although your post count does not quite meet the criterea, you have been a member for a long while and i can see that you are certainly needy enough. i will therefore happily approve you. Simply order on line in the usual way and immediately PM me your order reference number so i may intercept your order and have the discount applied.

But don't hang about chap, i am not joking Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

In fact given the situation i really do feel i should openly explain so that those who will undoubtely be left waiting will not be able to blame me later for factors beyond my control.

As it stands at the moment ,i have about 40-45 FCR's built which are selling like hot cakes as people are discovering what a truly brilliant bit of kit it really is. sounds a lot, but is in reality about 10 to 14 days worth of stock.
Ok sales bit and good part over.

Two of the FCR's core components, the microcontroller and the 4 MB Memory chip it uses have however suddenly started to become a bit of a sourcing problem.

The micro controller manufacturer is saying they have 3 in stock (Big deal) and cannot supply more till the middle of next month Shocked Shocked Shocked which is most annoying as i have 0 stock of that now and we have tried in vain to find stock anywhere. Censored

And the Memory chip supplier is now telling me that they have issued an end of life on that particular product which beggers belief as it is quite an advanced item.

Fortunately i have a couple of hundred of the memory chip on back order and due in mid to end of March and have now placed a final buy order of 1000 on 12 weeks delivery.

Post #6172228th Mar 2010 10:40 pm
Paul.

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Colin.. I've just ordered one, PM on it's way Thumbs Up
 Cheers Paul

Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #6172298th Mar 2010 10:50 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya Caterham
Honestly chap, i see you have been a member a long old while and i can apply some lattitude re post count, but i think you must appreciate that i really can't approve discount on the basis of your current post count.

I can only but apologize if this seems mercenary, but despite appearences, discounting is not something i can do willy nilly, i have pre agreed criterea with my distributors that i really must uphold.

That being said, PM me your order Ref number anyway and i will see what i can do Whistle Whistle Whistle

Shipment, as stated is currently from stock and same day, although delivery time to your door does depend on service level selected.

Paul
Got your PM and i will have my Admin staff contact you in the morning Thumbs Up

Post #6172538th Mar 2010 11:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 9 <123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >