Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

BCM/CJB died after attempted flash. ****FIXED****
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
stchris

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

You seem to be of the impression that I'm blaming the Nanovom Evolution for the bcm crash, you couldn't further from the truth.
Although I can't completly rule out this brilliant bit of kit I do believe the problem lies at my end and not with Nanocom/BBS.

Infact I am somewhat relieved knowing that I have the Nanocom forum for support and greatful for any advice as your knowledge is far greater than mine on this subject and I haven't experienced any other company offering the back-up and forum support other than yours and for this I'm truely greatful.
Chris

Post #123444310th Feb 2014 9:08 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Chris

Wherever the problem lies, and any comment on any forum, you can be assured that we are going to be doing all we can to ensure that we and your BBS equipment was not responsible for this failure and also doing all we can to help you as best we possibly can to find any possible solution to your current problem.

BBS is no fair weather freind and i do apologize if we Mis understood.

however your comment

Quote:
I just need to find someone with a IID tool

Does seem to suggest you hold a belief that other equipment may be better or more capable than ours.

I am of course open to correction and any alternate explaination of this comment that we may have missed.

Post #123447210th Feb 2014 9:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stchris

No worries.
It was no way intended to be derogatory, I actually have no knowledge of its abilities or background and could be an LR machine for all I know!!!!!

It's just something that came up in my research in looking for a solution.
Anyway we're going slightly off topic, if any offence was caused, Im truely sorry it certianly was not intended!

So lets have a group hug and move on Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post #123448010th Feb 2014 9:51 pm
alex_pescaru

I don't know how communication & stuff are implemented in the Nanocom, but from the moment it says "opening diagnostic session" to the "communication error" message there is very little time.

I doubt in that very short time the programming session was opened, the security functions called and the secondary bootloader had been properly downloaded into the CJB...
It's just like it refuses to respond to basic commands.

So, you, experienced guys, what do you think? Where could the problem be?...

If the BBS is pretty long distance from you and can't help you, at least one of its closer resellers maybe can try to help you with a different approach (or tool)?

First time was an accident, second time a coincidence. Let's hope that wont happen a third time and become a trend...
Laughing Laughing Laughing Just kidding. After all, if stchris is not worried at all and says lets have a group hug and move on, why should we?.....

Post #123453210th Feb 2014 10:43 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya Chris

I was not overly offended, but as you can hopefully appreciate, i really needed to make the point that the problem is clearly not equipment specific. I do apologize if in doing that, i was not very diplomatic. Even Alex can tell you that sometimes i am not a very diplomatic person Rolling with laughter

However, i am thoughtful and considerate and right now i am thinking and considering just how you must be feeling if i were in your place

So as for the group hug, of course Thumbs Up

As for the moving on:

Alex is quite a switched on chap and indeed his observations are spot on and do indicate that unlike the previous case where the the BCM/CJB was failing mid flash that yours seems to not be responding to even the most basic initial wake up command.

Therfore, although i try to keep an open mind, i believe that a different approach / equipment may not help.

Naturally i have this morning met with my team to discuss this and consider all aspects. And as a result i have tasked my team into looking into this event / problem.

So far they have reflashed a BCM/CJB of exactly the same part number you have reported many times with the same file as you did, and have therefore ruled out the possibility that the software used was the root cause of the problem.

They are now starting to simulate other factors to try and re create this event and gain more knowledge and understanding which may take a few more days.

ATB

Colin

Last edited by BBS SPY on 12th Feb 2014 5:49 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #123496111th Feb 2014 6:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stchris

Cheers Colin,
I have had some limited success today and rather than retype it all have a look on the Nanocom forum, I've emailed all the relevent info over to Chris and he's looking into it, I have no doubt we'll get there eventually!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I dare not ask how much a new cjb costs, then I've got to get the car to Land Rover Big Cry

Cut and pasted!

> Some progress!
>
> After nearly wearing Google out I found the original Land Rover Bulletin
> for
> CBJ recovery after attempt flash failure and it was all pretty much the
> same
> except it said remove link fuse 15 or 16 NOT THE MINI FUSES!
>
> These are listed as lamp circuit fuses (green 40A second from the left in
> picture), anyway after rigging up some wires enabling me to make and break
> the circuit from inside the car I tried again to re flash, it took 3 or 4
> goes, but I found if you connect the fuse circuits(I did both) at EXACTLY
> the same time as you press the "yes" button to confirm you want to flash.
>
> It actually downloaded 21 files and said at the end flash successful
> please
> cycle the ignition twice, I did this and afterwards the f/n/s indicator
> stayed on as did the o/s main beam.
>
> I shut everything down and did a battery reset but still no good!
>
> So I've flashed it again and going to give it an hour to shut down
> properly
>

Last edited by stchris on 11th Feb 2014 6:53 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #123496611th Feb 2014 6:42 pm
disco5

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

hi chris

A cjb is around £500 and got to be bought from LR as it has to be programmed to your vin at the factory to the build spec it left there with .

2nd hand ones wont work as vin sensitive and cant be re wrote only readable. Thumbs Up

Post #123497011th Feb 2014 6:53 pm
disco5

Forgot you can replace cjb your self takes hr max to unclip the terminals and refit.. Thumbs Up

Post #123497311th Feb 2014 6:54 pm
stchris

That's a lot of bottles of Badgers Champion beer! Big Cry

Post #123498411th Feb 2014 7:06 pm
alex_pescaru

disco5 wrote:
A cjb ... has to be programmed to your vin at the factory to the build spec it left there with .

Are you sure about that?
I remember seeing somewhere a bulletin from LR saying that you don't have to program the CJB at all, unless you need to add additional keys.
They said that the CJB is a plug & play unit and they strongly recommended against any programming.

But I may be wrong and maybe what I've saw is model specific... Sorry if that's the case.

Post #123499411th Feb 2014 7:33 pm
disco5

Hi Alex ,

yes it is plug and play once you have it from the LR dealership, but it is ordered to your vin and programmed at the factory to the spec of your discovery .

Mine took 9weeks as on back order that was some 3 yrs ago.

Post #123504811th Feb 2014 8:38 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

As above Thumbs Up

Having tried to reprogram a 2nd hand BCM, it doesn't work
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #123510511th Feb 2014 9:28 pm
alex_pescaru

Disco_Mikey
A little bit off-topic...
The secondary BL, like the primary one, also protects some memory zones from tampering.
But it is a lot more permissible than the primary one. Question is: did you tried to modify it (the memory access table in SBL) in order to gain full access to all memory zones and in this way you can alter whatever information you want, making it possible to reuse an used one?

Post #123517011th Feb 2014 10:36 pm
engebo

Norway 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

disco5 wrote:
Hi Alex ,

yes it is plug and play once you have it from the LR dealership, but it is ordered to your vin and programmed at the factory to the spec of your discovery .

Mine took 9weeks as on back order that was some 3 yrs ago.

"plug and play", but do You need too download the body Control files from the old CJB before installing the new one and upload the body Control files to New CJB?

Post #123559012th Feb 2014 6:31 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya Chris,

yep its a bit hard keeping track of developments on the two forums Neutral

But that is indeed good news, and has given us all more to work with today and a new hope.

As stated in my last post my team had already flashed many times with no problem

Quote:
They are now starting to simulate other factors to try and re create this event and gain more knowledge and understanding which may take a few more days.

So Today we have indeed made some substantial progress in our understanding.

In making a mid programming disconnection or totally cutting the Power, we were unable to re create a seeminly lost and un responsive BCM/CJB and were always able to simply re flash it.

However if we started reducing the voltage, even slightly, during the flashing process we could then re create the same results as you describe and did so on a couple of units to prove our findings.

So now at least we do know how this is cause, which alone is huge progress. But having the same situation and examples of this, and with your limited sucess, has then also allowed us to figure out a full solution that as you read on the nanocom forum we are working on and will provide to you.

So in another day or two, we are pretty sure that you will be back up and running again.
And full marks to my guys and you Chris for your understanding and patience and working with us on this Thumbs Up

DM, Disco5 and Alex

As i understand, Replacement BCM/CJB's for pre 2010 Models must indeed ordered by VIN and are supplied pre programmed with some data (not nessercerily the VIN number alone) that makes them plug and Play and work with the vehicles existing Keys without any learning or additional programming. I used to believe that if you did not have an origional key that you could not learn a new one (Not a used one) to any BCM/CJB hence a used one without keys was no use to anyone, but now understand that this is not exactly the case, although i have yet to prove this.

I also note that from 2010 onwards BCM/CJB's are not ordered by VIN.

Alex, my understanding of the PBL and SBL seems to differ significantly from yours.
This is a bit off topic and technically deeper than most may understand here, but i would love to get into directly discussing this with you in more detail by E-Mail etc.

ATB

Colin

Post #123559812th Feb 2014 6:40 pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >