Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

BCM/CJB died after attempted flash. ****FIXED****
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
stchris

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Colin,
That's great news, thank you and all your team for outstanding work.

Look forward to hearing from you soon

Thanks Again
Chris

Post #123560812th Feb 2014 6:54 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

No worries Chris Thumbs Up

It really is not over until the Fat Lady Sings Rolling with laughter

Post #123566012th Feb 2014 8:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
alex_pescaru

Please read the below as it is and not between the lines: Laughing

1. You said that as soon as you reduced the voltage, even slightly, the same thing happened.
a) The error appear/is/reside in the CJB or in the Nanocom? Which malfunctioned because of the voltage drop? The CJB electronics or Nanocom electronics?
b) In this case, or in the end, is the CJB recoverable or not?

2. If the error is generated by a voltage drop, how can you fix the problem? Voltage drops could appear, thank God (or God forbid), quite a lot on the field. You said that you figured out a full solution. Should we understand that's a hardware solution? And if it's not hardware and it's a software one, how can a software solution could solve the problems caused by a voltage drop?

3. In the end, could you tell us where/which was the problem? Thanks!

Sorry for the above, but I was forced to make a lot of suppositions as all the explanations are a little vague...

Post #123586412th Feb 2014 10:42 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

alex_pescaru wrote:
Disco_Mikey
A little bit off-topic...
The secondary BL, like the primary one, also protects some memory zones from tampering.
But it is a lot more permissible than the primary one. Question is: did you tried to modify it (the memory access table in SBL) in order to gain full access to all memory zones and in this way you can alter whatever information you want, making it possible to reuse an used one?

What? Laughing Embarassed
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #123587512th Feb 2014 10:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stchris

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I can only talk about my experience but it would appear that in my haste to carry out the programming to the CBJ I never hooked up an alternative power supply to the vehicle and this has caused the problem.

But thankfully BBS didn't just say "that's your problem for not following the instructions" and it appears they have been working flat out to help me and others find a solution.

They have kept me informed all the way through and it would be foolish of them to hurry out a quick fix without it being thoroughly tested first, I have every faith in Chris,Colin and the team and their back-up has been second to none in my experience.

Hope that helps.

Post #123587612th Feb 2014 10:54 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

To be honest its a known problem to Land Rover, otherwise why would Land Rover put out the service bulletin to recover from a failed flashing of the CJB.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #123589112th Feb 2014 11:07 pm
karpouzih
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 

alex_pescaru wrote:
Please read the below as it is and not between the lines: Laughing

1. You said that as soon as you reduced the voltage, even slightly, the same thing happened.
a) The error appear/is/reside in the CJB or in the Nanocom? Which malfunctioned because of the voltage drop? The CJB electronics or Nanocom electronics?
b) In this case, or in the end, is the CJB recoverable or not?

2. If the error is generated by a voltage drop, how can you fix the problem? Voltage drops could appear, thank God (or God forbid), quite a lot on the field. You said that you figured out a full solution. Should we understand that's a hardware solution? And if it's not hardware and it's a software one, how can a software solution could solve the problems caused by a voltage drop?

3. In the end, could you tell us where/which was the problem? Thanks!

Sorry for the above, but I was forced to make a lot of suppositions as all the explanations are a little vague...

Hi Alex,

As you are one of the people with more in depth knowledge of these systems I would really like to hear your feedback on this. P.s be gentle, i had a beer or two Smile I have tried to answer fast and to the point i hope, before the long write up about this problem.

1a) I don't believe the error appears/is/resides in either the nanocom or the CJB, and none of the electronics malfunctioned on either system. the problem with a voltage drop is that the data itself, is susceptible to corruption during transmission when the voltage is not at the required level. I.e a block of data being transmitted can either be badly transmitted, or badly received due to the drop in power. On a system like a D3, with a power issue, this would of-course be intermittent based on the vehicles power fluctuations. So, I believe, when a programming session is open and data is being written, one missed bit of data and your in trouble.

1)aa **You can easily eliminate one factor:**
The nanocom is powered by the car via normal usage, although of very low power consumption, the case of the nanocom electronics failing due to a power drop can easily be eliminated by providing an additional 12V supply directly into the nanocom via its DC socket. But I think this is irrelevant compared to the power consumption of the cars ecus. And, although the bulletin states the recovery method is for CBJ's non responsive due to a power loss or communication break during flashing, the majority of the cases in my belief, and after lots of testing, are due to power loss, and to be specific a gradual power loss, not a sudden one, which will allow for data corruption.

1b) The CJB, if unresponsive due to a loss in power/comms when flashing, based on all our tests, should be recoverable every time. This also refers to your previous post regarding primary/secondary boot-loaders but too long to get into now. However I will say that the BCM seems like one of the most robust ECUs on these vehicles, but trying to manipulate and modify the PBL is probably the only sure way to brick it if you get it wrong and if indeed you can do it. Finally, there is of-course the scenario that the electronic components themselves have failed in which case its a completely different story.

2) We cant fix a voltage drop problem, i don't see how anybody can without a proper source. We can measure the voltage before flashing but if i drops halfway through the flash your in the same situation, it would be irrelevant. Basically don't flash anything in the field, or garage, unless you can provide a proper power supply to begin with. This applies to all ECUS, not just the BCM. When BBSSPY referred to a full solution, I believe he was referring to a non hardware solution and assuming the most basic off issues, like a good power supply, were already addressed an in place. I don't see how a software solution can be implemented for a power drop. You cant stop the flashing half way? And when the device running the software monitoring the power loses power also?

3) It never ends Smile

Some answers may seem direct, please don't take them as such, I just thought i would give my thoughts.

cheers

Chris

Last edited by karpouzih on 13th Feb 2014 7:21 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #123596713th Feb 2014 12:55 am
alex_pescaru

Regarding the bit errors during communication because of the power/voltage drop:

1. Every block of data is verified for proper download with the help of the CRC, right? So a good piece of software will resend the bad block until it gets through OK.

2. From a hardware point of view, CAN communications is at (and below) TTL voltage levels (5V and below - see specifications). I've said it before... until a voltage drop will effectively influence the CAN communication is a long way. But that's my opinion and others could disagree. I for one, I haven't had until now any problems flashing modules, on the car, with battery voltages down to 11V.

As for modifying bootloaders, I was referring to the modification of the secondary bootloader, not the primary one. The primary bootloader isn't at anyone's hand, but the secondary bootloader could be modified by anyone with a decent experience and proper tools. And in majority of cases, the SBL is in full control once you gave it the control... Very Happy

PS: Regarding my No 3 question... Nice answer, or should I say dodge... Whistle Laughing

Post #123596913th Feb 2014 1:13 am
karpouzih
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 

Very Happy Good edit,

Post #123597413th Feb 2014 1:29 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Thanks for your comments of appreciation of our efforts to assist and support you Chris.

We are just not the kind of company or people that leaves anyone stranded no matter the circumstances.

We do however really appreciate your honesty about your being a bit hasty and finger happy with such a powerful tool, and acknowlegement of the real cause not actually being down to specific equipment.

I pointed out circumstances that we were able to re create this not as criticism of you or what you did, but as confirmation and information for those willing to listen, to learn from in the future.

As flack points out, the very fact that LR provide a Technical bulletin for this for their SDD equiped dealers, pretty much points out that it is a known problem with the CJB that even dealers suffer with.

All technical knowledge and technical nitty gritty detail aside, no one can ignore the fact that this is actually happening and frankly the reason for it is mute and even if it were caused by your not pre praying to the wizard of OZ, we can understand just how anyone affected would feel.

As you have discovered Chris, the proceedure detailed by LR in their Technical bulletin was sufficient to sort out the previous case, and has provided limited sucess in your case. This has however allowed us to look into this further and gain a much deeper understanding of your particular case that has additional complications we have since learned how to overcome.

I understand that my team have already provided you with what we are sure will provide a full solution for you that will get you up and running again.

ATB

Colin

Post #123627113th Feb 2014 6:32 pm
engebo

Norway 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hello all!

I have a brand new CJB produced too my VIN (D3 MY07 because the rear windows are not working).
Can I just put the new one in the car and everything should function or ?

Post #123630313th Feb 2014 7:42 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

engebo

Have no worries or concerns, just plug in your new CJB and enjoy Thumbs Up

Post #123632013th Feb 2014 7:58 pm
oceandriven

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Chris,

I've just come across this thread and am sorry to hear you fell into the same trap I did. I did the same thing - assumed my new battery would be more than sufficient to do a flash. A flash is only data and software right? some 0's and 1's flowing across some cables?? Not right!!!! A hard lesson I learnt very quickly Smile

As Robbie mentioned earlier in this thread, these kind of updates are probably best left to the Site Sponsors but when faced with an opportunity for a few hundred quid to be able purchase a piece of equipment to manipulate and update my own vehicle, the temptation was just too great and I gave in. I absolutely love the ability to be able to do awesome things with my vehicle but I now just ensure I'm a lot more prepared.

I had a lot of fantastic support from a variety of people on this forum. After going through almost the same thing as you I'm pretty confident you'll get your vehicle back and working.

Please keep us posted Smile

Post #123632313th Feb 2014 8:02 pm
engebo

Thank You, BBS_SPY.

Post #123638313th Feb 2014 9:22 pm
engebo

BBS SPY wrote:
engebo

Have no worries or concerns, just plug in your new CJB and enjoy Thumbs Up

New CJB installed, big problem. Hazard lights on, something in the doors clicks and reads fault code 1623 (Immobilizer code word/identification number write failure) from the EMC. Not able to start the car..

Help!

Post #123697714th Feb 2014 9:15 pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Back to top
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >