Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

BCM/CJB died after attempted flash. ****FIXED****
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I was born at an age that anyones introduction to electronics meant you must totally appreciate and worship the origional AVO Meter.

Never has bakalite been better used.

Things have changed and become all plastic, modern and digital, but yet somehow this true icon remains as a test standard never to be forgotten.

Post #123781316th Feb 2014 7:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
engebo

Norway 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

VIN nr missing on the new CJB Sad
The old one back in car and all is back to "normal"

Post #123837517th Feb 2014 10:33 pm
stchris

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Well Guys a big THANK YOU from me, my BCM is back on line and working normally.

I get the impression Chris and the team have been working their socks off with this problem.
I had resigned myself to the possibility of buying a new BCM but you guys really came up trumps.

Again
Many thanks
Chris Bow down Bow down Bow down

Post #123844317th Feb 2014 11:35 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Great news, I know they have gone the extra mile to sort this error out..

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #123844717th Feb 2014 11:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stchris

Cheers Flack,
To be fair the error was some dimwit who thought he didn't need to hook up another power source to his fully charged battery Embarassed

Lesson learnt!

Post #123845717th Feb 2014 11:49 pm
tomthumb

United Kingdom 

I've been folowing your saga,
Glad its all sorted for ya now...

Tom
 RRSport MY12hse but don't hold that against lill o me
Hybrid TV, cubby Fridge, Surround Camera's, Sun Roof.

Disco 3 MY05hse Sadly gone

All alone in my own little world,
But everybody knows me there, so I'm ok. 

Post #123847418th Feb 2014 12:14 am
stchris

Cheers Tom!
It's been a bit epic but got there in the end!!

Post #123849318th Feb 2014 12:42 am
gvw

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

That's good news Thumbs Up
Can you share with us what you did to get it working again Question

Post #123856118th Feb 2014 9:41 am
stchris

Yes mate,
It was mainly down to Blackbox Solutions the supplier of my Navocom Evolution.

I made the mistake of trying to flash the BCM with no extra power supplied as I'd presumed the fully charged new battery would suffice...............How wrong was I !

This pretty much killed the BCM (software), I went back to BBS and although they didn't have an immediate solution because this was a new problem to them, Chris and the team worked at it until a solution was found.

They e-mailed a software update that they'd been working on flat out for about a week, I downloaded it following their instructions and "hey presto" it leaped back into life again with no need to re-code the keys or anything.

I really can't sing thier praises enough Thumbs Up

Last edited by stchris on 18th Feb 2014 10:42 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #123874218th Feb 2014 4:39 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Glad you got it sorted, I've been following your trials and tribulations on here and the other forum Thumbs Up
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #123874418th Feb 2014 4:48 pm
MarkOne

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Happy days you will be glad that's over.

Post #123874618th Feb 2014 4:49 pm
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Quite impressive on the part of BlackBox.

That sort of performance is quite impressive on the part of BlackBox. I guess a warning instruction will have to be added to each software update something to the effect of Fully Charged Battery is not enough; connect at least a 25 amp battery charger to the vehicle.

I know at my local dealership, they just hate, more correctly fear doing anything with their T4 as they do not have reliable shop power.

Even doing the service reset successfully is considered an achievement and is billed as such.

They will hook up a battery charger and be running a fully charged T4 laptop; the power flicks, and all is maybe OK or not. When on flat rate, just the doubt makes them not want to do any upgrades etc.

Anyway, the efforts of the BlackBox people are much appreciated as I think as our 3's get older, we will have to do the computer stuff ourselves. The dealers will have new systems for the newer vehicles; LR will not keep the new stuff backwards compatible and it will be up to the individual vehicle owners to look after themselves.

In other words, we will need BlackBox even more or have to throw our 3's away and get a new vehicle that is supported - kind of the way computers already are.

I see Microsoft is stopping support of Windows XP in April of this year - that sort of thing.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25758308
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #123875518th Feb 2014 5:00 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Thank you all for your kind comments of praise and appreciation for us here at BBS going the extra mile and being un relenting in our efforts to sort this particular BCU/CJB flashing problem out and get those affected fully sorted.

Indeed we will be adding additional warnings bbyer Thumbs Up

It does seem that this particular flashing problem caused by the BCU/CJB unit itself is well know to LR and is another reason for even dealers to fear doing any flashing.

I use the word "another", because although this case relates specifically to the BCU/CJB ECU, dealers may fear flashing in general due to their encountering other problems that have resulted in them having to apply expensive fixes / ECU replacing to solve problems seemingly caused by failed flashes.

Here is an example.
On most later Vehicles like the D3 etc, the Automatic Gearbox ECU is actually built into the Gearbox itself. It seems that when reflashing, the temperature of the Gearbox and therefore the ECU is significant and when above 85 degrees can result in a failed re flash.
So in the dealers SDD LR added a diagnostic pre read of the gearbox temperature to ensure it was below 85 Degrees.
Unfortunately after a failed re flash for any other reason, the Gearbox ECU was unable to diagnostically provide the temperature and so the SDD would not allow another attempt resulting in many un reqired gear box replacing.

No matter what the cause or reason, we here at BBS are but human beings and simply cannot point fingers, argue blame, or shrug our shoulders when someone is in the most unfortunate position of having an unusable vehicle.

You cannot make an omlette without breaking some eggs, but when it all goes Pete Tong, it is what you then do about it that really matters in the end.

Post #123880718th Feb 2014 6:31 pm
gvw

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Good to here stories of great customer service Thumbs Up

@BBS is this patch something that will be incorporated into a future nanocom general release of software or a one off fix for that particular problem

Post #123881018th Feb 2014 6:40 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

@gvw

Many thanks for your appreciation of our customer service level.

I think many will appreciate that BBS is no newbie to the development of diagnostic equipment for Land Rover Vehicles. However in the last couple of weeks we have had to delve especially deeply into the inner workings of the BCM/CJB especially to get to the very bottom of this particular problem that has clearly been shown to be one that happens regardless of what equipment is being used and so was never actually of our making at all.

What we have learned, understood and found a way to overcome is of course not something we would freely divulge that our competion would once again freely benefit from for obvious reasons.

But this will be freely incorporated into all future updates to all our products.

Last edited by BBS SPY on 18th Feb 2014 7:47 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #123884018th Feb 2014 7:34 pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >